- Who can attend the Gender Odyssey conference?
- How do I register for the Gender Odyssey conference?
- When are the registration deadlines?
- I can no longer attend, but I’d like to donate my registration fee to the subsidy fund. Can I do this?
- I have already paid but I can’t make it. Can I transfer my registration to someone I know?
- I need to swap locations. Can I transfer my registration from LA to Seattle or vice versa?
- Can I get a refund if I need to cancel?
- How can I contribute to the subsidy fund and help others attend?
- Finances are tight and I can’t attend without some help. Do you offer scholarships and/or work exchange?
- I received a subsidy to attend, but am not able to come. Can I transfer my subsidy to someone else?
- I found ways to reduce the registration fee, but are there other ways to decrease expenses?
- What is the conference schedule? When should I plan to arrive and leave?
- Is there a host hotel?
- I want to offer my home (spare room, couch, etc.) to host an individual or family from out-of-town. How do I do this?
At the Conference
- What is the restroom policy at the conference venue?
- What is Gender Odyssey’s policy on photography, videotaping, and social media?
- Do I have to wear my name badge?
- I’m a presenter and I haven’t heard anything back regarding my workshop or presentation. Whom should I contact?
Sponsorship, Vending & Advertising
- How do I become a sponsor or vendor at the conference?
- What are the advertising rates for the Gender Odyssey program book?
- What are the specifications for my ad or sponsorship?
- What are the deadlines for advertising, vending, and sponsorships?
- I’m a vendor. Can I ship my products to you ahead of time?
- I’m a vendor. What does my space include?
- I’m a vendor. What’s the vending schedule?
- I’m a vendor. Where do I unload?
- I’m a vendor. To whom can I direct other questions?
- How can I get more involved with Gender Odyssey?
- How can I help spread the word about the conference?
- I have a raffle prize to donate. What should I do?
Gender Odyssey is open to everyone interested in the thoughtful exploration of gender! This conference is open to all transgender, nonbinary, and gender-diverse people, their families, partners, and friends. Anyone seeking information about working with transgender people of all ages—medical and mental health care providers, social workers, educators and school administrators, employers, lawyers and policy makers, caregivers and guardians, and students in these fields who wish to learn more—are welcome to attend. Our successful, innovative programming spans a wide spectrum of topics.
To attend the Family workshops, registration for the Family Program is required. Similarly, to attend the Professional workshops, registration for the Professional Program is required. Those registered for all three days of the Professional Program may also attend any session in the Family program, as well as GO Medical*. Not every session is for every attendee but it is guaranteed that you’ll find something that provides you food for thought.
*GO Medical offered in Seattle location only.
How do I register for the Gender Odyssey conference?
Please take advantage of our online registration. You can save time and money by registering early.
When are the registration deadlines?
You can substantially save on your registration costs if you register in advance. For full details, please see our Registration page. Our greatest discounted registration rate, the Early Bird rate, is available through March 1, 2018, for both locations. Regular registration is available through May 4, 2018, for GO Los Angeles and through June 14 for GO Seattle.
Late registration and pre-printed name badges are available through June 11 for GO Los Angeles and July 30 for GO Seattle. After that, you may continue to register online until the first day of the conference and then at the door. Register early for best rates!
I can no longer attend, but I’d like to donate my registration fee to the subsidy fund. Can I do this?
Yes, you can and we’re so sorry you can’t make it! Email us and we’ll take care of it for you. Thanks for letting us know—someone else will certainly appreciate your generosity!
I have already paid but I can’t make it. Can I transfer my registration to someone I know?
Yes, you can. Email us and we’ll be able to make the switch for you through May 25, 2018, for GO Los Angeles and June 15, 2018, for GO Seattle. Note: You must provide all the registration contact info. for the recipient.
I need to swap locations. Can I transfer my registration from LA to Seattle or vice versa?
Yes, you can. Email us and we’ll be able to make the switch for you through May 25, 2018, for GO Los Angeles and June 15, 2018, for GO Seattle.
Note to Presenters: We are not able to transfer your session to the other location/date after it has been approved. We can add you to the wait list for the other location at your request. Please contact the Program Manager to discuss your cancellation.
Can I get a refund if I need to cancel?
Of course you can, as long as your refund request is submitted in writing (no emails or phone calls please) and postmarked by May 25, 2018, for GO Los Angeles and June 15, 2018, for GO Seattle. There is a $55 cancellation fee per family. We are unable to provide refunds on cancellations after the deadlines stated here.
Mail your refund request to:
6523 California Ave SW, #360
Seattle, WA 98136
How can I contribute to the subsidy fund and help others attend?
Your assistance is greatly appreciated and 100% of your donation goes to help other individuals. Donations from past attendees have even helped us get people here from South Africa, Australia, and Scotland! Visit our Donate page for more info.
Are you a local resident with a spare room or extra sleeping space? Consider becoming a Local Host for our Community Housing program.
Finances are tight and I can’t attend without some help. Do you offer scholarships and/or work exchange?
We offer a variety of options to help make Gender Odyssey financially accessible to all:
- Student discounts
- Sliding-scale pricing options
- Group discounts for groups of 5 or more
- Low-income subsidies. Subsidies are offered on a first-come, first-served basis, so we encourage you to apply early.
Note: Discounts and subsidies apply to registration costs only. As a community-supported conference, we are not able to assist with lodging or travel expenses. Not all discount options are available for all programs.
No. Each person should apply separately so their individual situation may be considered. Please let us know as soon as possible if you’re unable to use your discount or subsidy so that we can award it to another applicant.
The best way to keep all expenses as low as possible is to PLAN EARLY! Registration and travel expenses are lower if you get a head start. Some ways to reduce costs:
- Consider staying with local conference attendees to reduce housing costs.
- Sign up for lower-cost lodging at Seattle University (Seattle only).
- Find sponsorship for your conference attendance. Many attendees get registration expenses covered and other stipends by simply approaching multicultural centers, LGBTQ organizations, reconciling (LGBTQ-friendly) ministries, or various university departments.
- Book your bus, train, and/or airline ticket early—look for specials.
- Consider camping at a nearby campground! Luckily, the weather is almost always lovely during conference time. Camping can be tons of fun for families, too.
- Ask family and friends to pitch in. Available resources are difficult to find. This conference provides one-stop access to a wide range of families, resources, and experts.
- Crowdfunding sites such as Kickstarter and Indiegogo are often good sources for raising travel funds. Even Facebook has a Causes
- Apply for community housing (Seattle only). No-cost housing is extremely limited and thus priority is given to low-income subsidy applicants who apply by March 1, 2018.
- GO Professional: Beginning in 2018, both locations will extend GO Pro to three days, beginning Thursday morning and running through Saturday late afternoon. Friday and Saturday sessions run concurrently with the first two days of GO Family. A full three-day GO Pro registration includes access to all GO Family programs and events, including Sunday.
- GO Family: If you want a full conference experience, plan to arrive Thursday in time for the welcome parties and leave on Monday morning. The Family conference kicks off early Thursday evening with various receptions and events, including fun times for the kids. Friday through Sunday are packed solid with workshops, social opportunities, and events. Sunday is a FULL DAY of programming with workshops ending in the late afternoon, followed by a wrap-up social event. Book your travel accordingly! Join our mailing list and re-visit our website as the year progresses to get more details on the various events, workshops, and receptions.
Is there a host hotel?
- Gender Odyssey Seattle does not have a host hotel, but we have discounted rates at the Silver Cloud Broadway and Executive Hotel Pacific. Conference attendees get a reduced rate. It is a very busy weekend in Seattle, so BOOK EARLY! They have guaranteed that rooms will sell out! There is also more affordable housing available at Seattle University, just a 20-minute walk from the Convention Center.
- In Los Angeles, the full conference is hosted by the Sheraton Pasadena Hotel. A special room rate is available to attendees. Visit the LA Accommodations page for details.
I want to offer my home (spare room, couch, etc.) to host an individual or family from out-of-town. How do I do this?
If you would like offer some hospitality and host an out-of-town family, please complete an Application to Host and our Community Housing team will connect you with a family in need. Know your parameters in advance (for example: non-smoker, transportation to and from conference provided, no meals provided, pet-friendly person, etc.) and discuss them thoroughly beforehand.
At the Conference
During the conference, all-gender restrooms will be available. Check your program book for site-specific details.
- Los Angeles: Information about restroom policies at the Sheraton Pasadena will be available in the program book.
- Seattle: All Washington State Convention Center restrooms located within the proximity of our activities on the 2nd and 6th floors are open to all genders. Public restrooms on the first and third floors are gender specific.
Photography and video/audio-recording by the public are not allowed at any time in conference spaces. Occasional pre-screened members of the media may be onsite for conference-approved projects. Additionally, our conference photographer will be on hand taking pictures for archival purposes only.
Your privacy is of utmost importance. We offer all registrants the option to not be photographed by a badge indicator. Please wear your badge at all times. If you have any concerns, please contact us.
Selfie photos for social media are welcome in front of the Gender Odyssey photo banner in the lobby. Help spread the word about the conference using hashtags #genderodyssey and #genderdiversity.
Do not take, tag, or post photos or videos of other participants on social media without their express permission.
Yes. Your name badge is your pass to the conference. Staff will need to see it for you to gain access to most conference spaces and events. Please help us keep this conference secure for all and wear your name badge during all conference activities.
I’m a presenter and I haven’t heard anything back regarding my workshop or presentation. Whom should I contact?
If it is after February 20, 2018, and you still haven’t heard from us, definitely drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sponsorship, Vending & Advertising
Sponsors help us provide conference features and services we would otherwise be unable to provide. Benefits to the sponsors are many and may include multiple conference passes, a vending table, program book and/or web advertising, and much, much more!
Vending is a great way to expose your organization to hundreds of conference attendees. Our vendors do very well at Gender Odyssey, and we will likely sell out our vendor space again this year. Get in on the fun and get top exposure. Apply early! Visit our Vending, Advertising & Sponsorship page (Los Angeles or Seattle) for details.
Download 2018 Specifications & Deadlines to get the details on sizes and formats for ads, promotional items, and more.
|Web ad art due||Tuesday, May 1, 2018|
|Vending application due||Monday, April 30, 2018|
|Sponsorship application due||Monday, April 30, 2018|
|Logos and ads for program book||Tuesday, May 1, 2018|
|Bag inserts & Swag received||Friday, June 1, 2018|
|Logos and ads for program book||Saturday, June 16, 2018|
|Vending application due||Monday, June 25, 2018|
|Sponsorship application due||Saturday, June 16, 2018|
|Bag inserts & Swag received||Friday, July 13, 2018|
- Vending space includes either a full 8′ table and 2 chairs or a shared 4′ half of the table and one chair. Tables are covered and skirted.
- The tables do not come with access to an electrical outlet.
- The venue allows vendors to drape a sign or banner over the front edge of a table, but not to attach signs to the tables in any way. Nothing may be hung on the walls behind the tables.
- Vending space is carefully planned, so please be sure to let us know if you have your own booth or equipment so we can place you accordingly.
- In order to make the conference accessible to as many people as possible, Gender Odyssey is a nonsmoking and scent and fragrance-free event. Please do not bring any scented products.
- No on-site, lockable or overnight storage will be available.
- Securing a vending table does NOT provide access to conference programming for your table staff. Vendors are welcome to attend all the GO Free activities and social events, including the keynotes.
- Additionally, we ask that you limit table staffing to one person at a time for a 4’ table or two for an 8′ table. If any of your organization’s members wish to attend the conference as well as staff the table, please contact us to arrange a customized sponsorship package to fit your budget and needs.
- You may want to bring your own cart for unloading and hauling your items, as carts are limited and in high demand during set up time.
Gender Odyssey does not have the capacity to handle or store your vending equipment or supplies. Do not ship anything to us without prior approval.
The following shipping options are available prior to the conference:
Download this document for information about shipping directly to conference venue (Sheraton Pasadena, 303 Cordova St, Pasadena, CA 91101, (626) 449-4000).
The following “pack and ship” retailers are available within a mile of the hotel:
Post Pack & Ship
115 W California Blvd, Pasadena, CA 91105
The UPS Store
556 S Fair Oaks Ave #101, Pasadena, CA 91105
FedEx Office Ship Center
135 N Los Robles Ave, Pasadena, CA 91101
The Washington State Convention Center does not handle freight.
The following “pack and ship” locations nearest the WSCC include the following:
FedEx Office Ship Center
735 Pike St, St 11-13, Seattle, WA 98101
Located in the Washington State Convention Center
The UPS Store
1700 7th Ave #116, Seattle, WA 98101
- Friday, June 22 7:30am. Please be done setting up by 9am at the latest.
The first workshops start at 8am and end at 9am.
Vending fair hours:
- Friday, June 22, 8:30am-4:30pm
- Saturday, June 23, 8:30am-4:30pm
- Sunday, June 24, 8:30am-4:30pm tear down any time after noon)
- Friday, August 10 7:30am. Please be done setting up by 9am at the latest.
The first workshops start at 8am and end at 9am.
Vending fair hours:
- Friday, August 10, 8:30am-4:30pm
- Saturday, August 11, 8:30am-4:30pm
- Sunday, August 12, 8:30am-4:30pm tear down any time after noon)
- Stay tuned!
- Download the 2018 Vendor Load-In document
- Also visit the WSCC site for more info:
Write to the Vendor Coordinator at email@example.com.
We have many volunteer opportunities available to suit a variety of involvement levels, schedules, skills, and abilities. Volunteering is a great way to get involved and we would love to have your help.
- Planning: If you’re interested in participating year-round with planning the conference, apply to join the Planning Committee (Los Angeles or Seattle).
- On-Site: It takes a village to produce a conference like Gender Odyssey! If you want to volunteer on-site during the conference, check out our Volunteer page (Los Angeles or Seattle) for the most up-to-date opportunities.
We have a number of social networking channels to let others know about this conference. Sharing or liking our posts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instragram is much appreciated! There are also the good old-fashioned, tried-and-true methods: talk it up, pick up the phone, send an email or letter. Help us reach as many people as possible! Even in the biggest cities, a person can feel isolated and without support.
Every year, our annual raffle gets bigger and bigger. Last year’s prizes included airline tickets, gift certificates for medical services, books, gift cards, and much more. If you have prizes, gift certificates, or cash to donate to the raffle, please complete the Raffle Donation form and the Raffle Coordinator will be in touch.