- Who can attend the Gender Odyssey conference?
- When are the registration deadlines?
- How do I register for the Gender Odyssey conference?
- How can I help spread the word about the conference?
- Finances are tight and I can’t attend without some help. What are my options?
- I found ways to reduce the registration fee, but are there other ways to decrease expenses?
- I want to offer my home (spare room, couch, etc.) to host someone from out-of-town. How do I do this?
- What activities and events are included in my conference registration?
- Is there a host hotel?
- How do I submit a workshop proposal?
- I’m a presenter/facilitator and I haven’t heard anything back regarding my workshop or presentation, whom should I contact?
- Do you offer scholarships and/or work trades?
- How do I become a vendor at the conference?
- What are the advertising rates for the Gender Odyssey program book?
- How can I contribute to the scholarship fund and help others attend?
- I can no longer attend but I’d like to donate my registration fee to the scholarship fund. Can I do this?
- I can’t make it, can I transfer my registration to someone I know?
- Can I get a refund if I need to cancel?
- What is the restroom policy at the conference venue?
- How can I get more involved with Gender Odyssey?
- What is Gender Odyssey’s policy on photography and videotaping?
- Do I have to wear my name badge?
- What is the conference schedule? When should I plan to arrive and leave?
- Does Gender Odyssey have other projects?
- With whom can I speak about bringing a training to my school or organization?
- Is my personal information shared in any way?
1. Who can attend the Gender Odyssey Conference?
Gender Odyssey is open to everyone interested in the thoughtful exploration of gender! This conference is open to all transgender and gender-nonconforming people, their partners, families and friends. Medical and mental health providers – including students in these fields who wish to learn more – are welcome to attend. Our successful, innovative programming spans a wide spectrum of topics and identities. Not every session is for every attendee but it is guaranteed that you’ll find something that provides you food for thought.
2. When are the registration deadlines?
You can substantially save on your registration costs if you register in advance. For full details, please see our Registration page. Our greatest discounted registration rate, the Early Bird rate, is available through March 22, 2015. Online registration is open through August 22. After this, please pay at the door. Register early for best rates!
3. How do I register for the Gender Odyssey conference?
Please take advantage of our online registration process. You can save time and money by registering early.
4. How can I help spread the word about the conference?
We have a number of social networking tools available to let others know about this conference. Please visit our Spread the Word page for more information. Then there are the good old-fashioned, tried-and-true methods – talk it up, pick up the phone, send an email or letter. Help us reach as many people as possible! Even in the biggest cities, a person can feel isolated and without support.
5. Finances are tight and I can’t attend without some help. What are my options?
We have a number of scholarships and subsidized rates available to reduce the registration expense. Learn more »
The best way to keep all expenses as low as possible is to PLAN EARLY! Registration and travel expenses are lower if you get a head start. Join our Gender Odyssey Group List to connect with others for potential ride-share, hotel-sharing and other housing options. Other ways to reduce costs:
- Consider staying with local conference attendees to reduce housing costs. Find local attendees on the Gender Odyssey Group List.
- Find sponsorship for your conference attendance. Many attendees get registration expenses covered and other stipends by simply approaching multicultural centers, GLBT organizations, or various university departments.
- Book your bus, train, and/or airline ticket early—look for specials.
- Ask family and friends to pitch in. Available resources are difficult to find. This conference provides one-stop access to a wide range of families, resources, and experts.
7. I want to offer my home to host an out-of-town attendee. How do I do this?
If you would like to host an out-of-town individual, please join our Gender Odyssey Group List and offer some Seattle hospitality. Gender Odyssey does no pre-screening or offering of assistance with these connections. Know your parameters in advance (for example: non-smoker, transportation to and from conference provided, no meals provided, pet friendly person, etc.) and discuss them thoroughly beforehand.
8. What activities and events are included in my conference registration?
Your conference registration includes access to three full days of workshops, films and presentations; an all-conference picnic, special receptions, performances, vendor fair; and numerous other events.
9. Is there a host hotel?
As usual, the Silver Cloud Hotel will offer conference attendees a reduced rate. Executive Hotel Pacific is also offering conference attendees reduced rates. It is a very busy weekend in Seattle, so BOOK EARLY! They have guaranteed that rooms will sell out!
10. How do I submit a workshop proposal?
If you would like to submit a workshop proposal, please start here.
11. I’m a presenter/facilitator and I haven’t heard anything back regarding my workshop or presentation, whom should I contact?
If it is after April 20, 2015 and you still haven’t heard from us, definitely drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
12. Do you offer scholarships?
We offer two options to assist attendees and make the conference financially accessible: Scholarships and subsidies are offered on a first-come, first-served basis, so we encourage you to apply early.
13. How do I become a vendor at the conference?
Our vendors have done very well in previous years and we will likely sell out our vendor space again this year. Get in on the fun and get top exposure. Apply early! Visit our Vendor page for details.
14. What are the advertising rates for the Gender Odyssey program book?
An ad in the Gender Odyssey conference program book is a great way to reach this target audience. Visit the Sponsor and Advertise pages for details.
15. How can I contribute to the scholarship fund and help others attend?
Your assistance is greatly appreciated and 100% of your donation goes to help other individuals. Donations from past attendees even helped us get two people here from South Africa! Visit our Donate page for more info.
16. I can no longer attend but I’d like to donate my registration fee to the scholarship fund. Can I do this?
Yes, you can and we’re so sorry you can’t make it! Email us and we’ll take care of it for you. Someone else will certainly appreciate it, so thank you!
17. I can’t make it, can I transfer my registration to someone I know?
Yes, you can. Email us and we’ll be able to make the switch for you through July 12, 2015. Note: The recipient will also need to fill out a registration form at the door, including a notation regarding the transfer.
18. Can I get a refund if I need to cancel?
Of course you can, as long as your refund requests is submitted in writing (no emails or phone calls please) and postmarked by July 12, 2015. There is a $55 cancellation fee. We are unable to provide refunds on cancellations after July 12, 2015.
19. What is the restroom policy at the conference venue?
During the conference gender-neutral restrooms will be available. All Washington State Convention Center restrooms located within the proximity of our 6th floor programming are open to all genders. Public restrooms on the first and second floors are gender-specific.
20. How can I get more involved with Gender Odyssey?
We have many volunteer opportunities available to suit a variety of involvement levels, schedules, skills, and abilities. Volunteering is a great way to get involved and we would love to have your help. Check out our Volunteer page for the most up-to-date opportunities. Each year, GO looks for those who would like to dig in deeper and be part of the organizing committee. If you are interested, please visit this page. We’d love to have you!
21. What is Gender Odyssey’s policy on photography and videotaping?
Photography and video/audio-recording by the public are not allowed at any time in conference spaces. Occasional pre-screened members of the media may be on-site for conference-approved projects. Additionally, our conference photographer will be on hand taking pictures for archival/promotional purposes only. Signed releases will be obtained for any promotional photos used. Your privacy is of utmost importance. We offer all registrants the option to not be photographed by a badge indicator. Please wear your badge. If you have any concerns, please send us an email.
22. Do I have to wear my name badge?
YES: the name badge is your pass to the conference. Staff will need to see it for you to gain access to certain conference spaces and events. Please help us keep this conference secure for all and wear your name badge.
23. What is the conference schedule? When should I plan to arrive and leave?
If you want a full conference experience, plan to arrive early Thursday and leave on Monday morning. Join our mailing list and re-visit our website as the year progresses to get more details on the various events, workshops, and receptions. Here is some basic info that may be helpful for booking travel, subject to change:
- Thursday: Registration opens Thursday and includes various early evening receptions/events. Be sure to attend the Meet and Greet and reception exclusively for people of color.
- Friday through Sunday: These three days are packed solid with workshops, social opportunities, and events. Sunday is a full day of programming with workshops ending in the early afternoon. Book your travel accordingly!
We encourage you to stay for the goodbye/wind-down party on Sunday evening. Many attendees cite this event as a conference favorite. It’s a great place to make connections, swap conference stories, and let the weekend’s events settle in.
24. Does Gender Odyssey have other projects?
Our training organization, Gender Diversity Education and Support Services, provides year round trainings, groups, and consultations.
- Training, education and consulting services to schools, nonprofits, workplaces and other organizations from childhood to adulthood.
- Specialized one-day workshops for teachers, therapists, social workers, providers and other professionals on gender identity/expression and gender variance.
- National support groups for parents of transgender and gender-nonconforming children and teens at Seattle Children’s Hospital.
- Groups for children and teens.
25. With whom can I speak about bringing a training or speaker to my school or organization?
Gender Diversity Education and Support Services is our training organization. Please write to us at email@example.com. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible.
26. Is my personal information shared in any way?
We will only disclose information to third parties about your account or the transactions you make:
(1) In order to verify or research transactions with merchant services when necessary;
(2) In order to comply with a government agency or court orders; or
(3) If you give us written permission.